Thursday, April 19, 2012

Wrap it up Thursday - Neon Coffee Sleeve


I had some felt pieces that arrived to be the back of my prize ribbon brooches, but the colors didn't fit the fabrics that I use for the ribbons.  In fact, when I put them all together, I realized how similar they are to the neon pinks, limes and peaches that you find in everything from cards to scarves to interior design.



1 - Hen & Chicks Collective in Rue Magazine (found in Discover Paper)  2 - Yeah Card from Ship and   Shape     3 - Spring at The Gap    4 - Color Collective (found through Decor8)





I must admit, I have mixed feelings about the neon and color combinations that are so prevalent this spring.  I was around the first time these colors hit the streets.  I had big hair and puffy sleeves and I am not sure it was my finest moment.  Perhaps those times weren't as stylish as these, but I am still not quite sure how to incorporate them into my current style.

So, instead,  I took advantage of these miscued color combinations and put together  a handy sleeve for my coffee that also holds my keys and coffee card.  I'm all set for a quick walk with Rufus.





I used an existing cardboard sleeve as a template and cut one large felt piece in neon green. (1) Then I added bits and pieces including a pouch for a card and a tab at one end for a key fob. With yarn, I sewed the felt pieces to the one large green piece, although you could do this with a machine. (2)  I added one small decorative peach strip with fabric glue.  Once I had my pieces in place, bottom left (3), I turned the sleeve inside out and wrapped it around a cup for positioning (4), also finding a spot to add a bit of elastic for give.  After I sewed the small piece of elastic to the overlapping ends (5) I turned the sleeve right side out and sewed up the the overlap closest to the key fob, so it all lays flat. (6) Now the sleeve is ready to go!






At one end I have a fob to add a car or house key and in the middle is a pocket for a coffee card or money.  I can just hook it to the dog lead and head out the door.






Hello Spring!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Tracey,

    What a cute, cute, cute idea!! I love the colors, and the creative way you put it all together!
    xo
    Ashlyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute idea! Love it and love all the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable...I am in love with these colours.....your ideas are always so amazing. happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tracey,
    I recieved your giveaway in the mail and posted on my blog! <3

    http://pastelprimitives.blogspot.com/2012/04/package-from-blogger-friend.html

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. tracey- just blogged about this post, love it so much! http://lovelystruck.blogspot.com/2012/06/diy-ideas-to-keep-you-busy-this-summer.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...